Kind People

Another reason I started this blog was so that I could write down small acts of kindness that I've received.

I have worked at my job for over 3.5 years now, and I've gotten to know quite a few of our members. I know the majority by name, and a lot of times can guess what they want to do. A few months back I was talking with my manager and he mentioned that he's had quite a few members ask if I was doing okay. My response was, "Really? That's so embarrassing." Now, you have to remember that I don't want this thing I'm dealing with to be something that's noticeable, or affect my ability to do my job, but obviously there are some things that I just can't control, and there have been some things that have had to change. Plus, when you where gloves all the time, people really notice.

Anyway, I didn't really believe him when he told me that. There have only been a few members that come in that I've told there was something wrong with me. Most people will ask about the gloves and move on (which is fine, because I don't necessarily like talking about it to strangers, because I don't want to have to explain), but a few have asked me deeper questions, so I've told them. They're always sweet about it, and always ask me how I'm doing when they come in next.

Today, I had a gentleman come through the drive-thru that I know, so I greeted him by name. He told me what he wanted, and then asked, "Have you lost weight?" to which I responded, probably with a hefty sigh, "Yes, I have." His next question kind of took my by surprise, "Are you okay?" It kind of took me by surprise that he had that kind of concern for me. This man is always very nice when I see him, but I just didn't expect him to notice much about me. (Plus, he's a male...Men don't notice that stuff! ;). I proceeded to tell him that it was because of health issues, but that we're on our way back up. It just made me feel really good that there are people out there who are watching out for us, that we don't expect, that do care about us and are mindful.

It also got me thinking that we need to be the same. We need to be observant of those around us, whether we know them well, or are meeting them for the first time. Don't ever miss out on a prompting to ask someone if they're doing okay, or to write a note, or just do something kind.

I didn't believe what my boss told me, but apparently it's true. There are people out there who care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness