3rd Doctor's Appointment

I had my next appointment with my rheumy on October 22. He just asked me how I was doing. Not really much new to tell him, to be honest. He talked to me about the next step of the process which was the medication that he thought would be best for me to try. He told me he wanted to try me on Cellcept. Cellcept is a an immunosuppressive drug, which basically is going to lower my immune system. To put some of my family at ease with this, here is what the John Hopkins Scleroderma Center says about immunosuppressive therapy,
The most popular approach to controlling the inflammatory phase of scleroderma is the use of immunosuppressive therapy. The rationale is that an autoimmune process is causing the inflammation and the downstream result is tissue damage and fibrosis. In this model, the fibrosis is an “innocent bystander” that is driven by the cytokines (chemical messengers) produced by the immune system. There are several drugs that are being used, but only a few well designed studies have been performed. These immunosuppressing drugs include methotrexate, cyclosporine, antithymocyte globulin, mycophenolate mofetil (aka Cellcept) and cyclophosphamide. A recent study suggested that methotrexate did not significantly alter the skin score (a measure of skin thickening) compared with placebo (no treatment). Cyclosporine is not completely studied due to reports of renal toxicity. The most promising drugs are mycophenolate mofetil or cyclophosphamide with or without antithymocyte globulin. Unfortunately, there is no placebo-controlled study (i.e., half the patients get the medication and half get a sugar pill) to define their exact role in treating scleroderma, but if used during the active inflammatory phase of the disease, they appear to work.
So there. In basic terms, the way I understand it, my immune system is attacking itself, so by weakening it, we're hoping to prevent the progression of the disease. He did tell me that it can take a while for me to notice any difference, at least 6 months. He started me on 1000 mg, 500 in the am and 500 in the pm. Side effects could include upset stomach and vomiting, which I was quite lucky to experience. I actually called in sick that next Friday. It's been a long time since I've thrown up. It wasn't too bad, but still gross.

Anyway, since I know you all wanted to know about that, he continued me on the Amlodipine, Baby Aspirin, and Omeprazole, then sent me off to do some blood tests. The last time he said that my blood tests showed high levels of inflammation in my muscles, so he was going to do more tests for that.

He also asked if I wanted to get a flu shot. I've never had one before, so I asked him if he recommended it. Since I would be taking the immunosuppressor, he said it would be a good idea. As he was leaving he asked if I'd ever had one, I said, "No, but I don't ever really get sick." Then I paused, and we both laughed, and I said, "Well, until now." Needless to say, I got a flu shot.

I had also been having problems swallowing. I have to chew my food really well so that I don't choke on anything. I mentioned this to him, so he scheduled me to have an endoscopy with Dr. Garg. It was scheduled for Monday, the 28th. I was a bit nervous because I had no idea what to expect. It was done early in the morning, I had to have a driver, and I got to stay home all day! WOOT! They had me change into a gown and slippers, gave me some warm blankets, hooked me up to to their monitors, sprayed some numbing spray in my mouth, then gave me an IV. That was the worst part. Then they gave me the anesthesia, and I was out. It was amazing. I haven't slept that well in a long time. Once I woke up (like a half hour later), Dr. Garg came in and told me that everything looked okay, with a bit of inflammation due to acid reflux. He doubled me omeprazole dosage, and sent me on my way.



I'm glad there was nothing seriously wrong, but then I still wonder why I have such issues swallowing, and why my throat hurts....kind of like with the rest of my body. Everything seems to be fine, but it still hurts. Oh well. Such is this wonderful disease I guess. I really can't complain too much. I could have it a lot worse!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness