The Fall

The day after my appointment with my rheumatologist, I was supposed to go back to the hospital and get a chest X-ray. They weren't there when I went down to get my blood drawn, so I just figured I'd go after work the next day since I needed to pick up my new meds as well.

As I was leaving work, everything felt normal, so I did what I do everyday and went to walk across the parking lot to get in my car. I have no idea what happened next to cause this, but as soon as I stepped off the curb I got this weird sensation and just knew I was going to fall. I took a couple of steps and was going down. Because my reflexes aren't what they used to be, I had no way of stopping myself or adjusting to protect myself, so down I went. I fell on my left side and smacked my head on the pavement. It hurt like crazy, but the thing that scared me most was not knowing how I was going to get up. I haven't been able to get on the ground voluntarily in a very long time, so I knew that whatever happened next was going to be rough. As I lay there, somewhat curled up in the fetal position, crying a bit, I had a few thoughts. First, "I really hope no one comes flying around to park and runs me over," and second, "Who should I call? Greg? Someone at work? Who?" I'm glad I had my phone, but as I lay there for what seemed like a very long time, I just prayed that someone would come out that could help me (and also that I wouldn't get run over!)

Luckily a college kid had been driving into the parking lot and saw the whole thing. He got out of his car and immediately came over to see if I were okay. I had him help me up to a sitting position where he checked to make sure my head wasn't bleeding. The only part of me that had any major damage were my fingers. Broken fingernails, and my middle finger on my right hand was cut up and bleeding. He got me a bandaid to cover that up, then I asked him to help me up. It's hard to explain to people I don't know why I can't get up by myself, and why they're going to practically have to lift me up, but luckily he didn't ask.

I had him take me into the credit union where I was hoping to be able to sit down without drawing too much attention while I figured out what to do next. Unfortunately, my boss saw me and came over, then the assistant manager, and one of my co-workers. They all came over and asked what happened, to which I responded, "I have no idea. I just fell." They got me an icepack for my head and then my boss offered to drive me over to pick up Greg. On the way he said, "It's probably a little early for jokes, huh?" to which I responded, "It doesn't matter. Greg will make fun of me as soon as he gets in the car anyway." Which was pretty much true.

I had a massive headache and was a bit dizzy, but mostly embarrassed. Stuff like this doesn't and shouldn't happen to me. I was so frustrated that it did happen. It just kind of proved that I'm not able to do some of the basic things (like walk by myself!) that I used to be able to do. I'd always had a fear of falling, but had been lucky until that point, so I guess that is a blessing that it hasn't happened more. But it is still a bit discouraging and frustrating.

I went home and slept, and slept, and slept. I still felt really dizzy, and could no longer sit myself up in bed. One time during the night I asked Greg to help me up and it felt like the entire bed shifted. Scared me a bit. My eyesight was a bit blurry too, so luckily I had just gotten new glasses so I didn't have to try to put in my contacts.

My boss told me if I needed to take some time off, I could. The fall happened on Tuesday, so I knew I would for sure miss Wednesday. I slept in, and it was much needed, though I was still super dizzy in the morning. Like I said, I could no longer sit myself up, so I had to basically roll out of bed, and still do. At least it's easier.

This is the massive goose egg that was the result of the fall. I also had a bruised shoulder and a sore hip. Not to mention the finger damage which actually turned out to be the worst part.

So I stayed home Wednesday, and my sweet husband made me a root beer float to help with the headache.

I watched SOAP network all day, and avoided standing up as much as possible. Part of the problem too was that I started my new medications, and some side effects were light-headedness or dizziness, so I never could quite figure out if it was from the fall or from me medicine.

Around 1:30 I heard a knock at the door. Luckily I had pants and a robe on. I was surprised to see one of my co-workers at the door with some flowers and a balloon. It was really neat because this lady is one that I had been having a few issues with over the past few years. We have our good times and we have our bad times. She is a sweet lady and I really appreciated her thoughtfulness. She also offered to come pick me up for work, which actually turned out to be a great blessing.



Thursday I still felt a bit dizzy, so I stayed home again. Friday I thought I was doing better so I got up and showered to go to work. When I put my contacts in I got super dizzy. So I decided to take another day off. I felt really guilty the entire time, but there was no way I'd be able to work being that dizzy.


I was able to go back to work the next Monday, but I was still super nervous. The dizziness was still there and lasted for quite a while. But like I said, I didn't know if it was from the fall or from the meds. I've gotten over the massive dizziness and only get dizzy occasionally, so that's good, however I still have to be extremely careful how and where I step, and I'm still nervous I'll fall. It kind of sucks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness