A Butterfly's Song

At work, I generally always wear gloves. Especially in the colder weather. There is not a time when I don't. My hands would just freeze and stop working. I get a lot of questions, and I never really know how to answer. I typically answer with quick replies and hope they don't ask more questions. Depending on how they ask their question also depends on how I respond.

"Why are you wearing gloves?" -- My hands are cold, is usually the easiest question to answer.
"Is it really that cold?" -- No, I just feel like wearing gloves for fun. This one I tend to get a bit snippy with, because yes, it really is that cold. Why else would I wear gloves? (I usually just say yes and move on)
"Do you have carpal tunnel?" -- No, my hands are just cold
"Do you have arthritis?" -- Kind of, a form of it, I guess, typically followed by, "You're too young for arthritis." -- Yes, yes I am.

For a long time I just would use the, "my hands are just cold" as an excuse. There are a few members who know what's going on with me, but most just drop it after I say that. I really just don't know how to answer. If I say I have Scleroderma, they're going to want to know what it is, followed by more questions, which I guess isn't a bad thing, it could raise more awareness, but I just don't want people to feel bad for me or ask a lot of questions.

November 29, I had a lady come into the credit union. I sighed as she asked the purpose of the gloves. I told her because my hands go numb if they get too cold. She asked if I had raynaud's, to which I replied, "Yeah, among other things." She then asked, "Do you have Scleroderma?" I'm sure the look on my face was that of utter surprise. No one knows what that is, let alone one of the few people who came into the credit union that day. I told her I did, and then she said, "My mama had Scleroderma too."

What are the chances? I just couldn't believe it. I wasn't going to greet her, either. I was going to let the other teller help her. It was crazy that this lady had an understanding of what I was going through.

We talked for some time about it, and it was just amazing to have another actual person in front of me who knew about Scleroderma. Just crazy. It made me so excited to talk to her. I wanted to ask her all sorts of questions, but where I was at work, I didn't have that chance. She told me she had written a book about her mom, and an experience that she had when her mother passed away, and then said she had one in her car. She went out and got it, then wrote me a little note on the inside.

It was so crazy to be able to talk with her. I know the Lord sends people our way when we need them. Whether it's someone who has experienced what you have, or has known someone who has, or who just needs to be there to brighten your day. I needed to see that lady. I needed to talk to her, and I needed that book.

I started reading it that night, and made it about half way through, then put it down and haven't finished it since. It just got so crazy being around Christmas that I kind of forgot about it. I'll have to get it out and finish it up. But it was a really great experience to be able to speak with her. Small world for sure.
I did promise her I'd let me friends and family know about it as well. I believe she said a portion of the book goes toward Scleroderma research, but her website is: http://www.bycaramarie.com/ and the book is called, "A Butterfly's Song: Watching Mama Fly Away."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness