The Shingles

On Wednesday, March 19, as I was sitting in my manager's office for our morning meeting, I kept feeling this pain that would throb in my back, and send pain down to my knee. It hurt a little bit enough to make me uncomfortable, but not so bad that I couldn't tolerate it. I took some Tramadol and some Ibuprofen, which helped a little, but not much. Thursday the pain got worse. I was still able to work, but by the end of my shift, I was really uncomfortable. It just got worse that night.

Friday I stayed home and decided to call my doctor to see if I could come see him. By now the pain was quite intolerable. I wish I could explain it. It was like when my back would throb, it would send a shooting pain around the front of my thigh to the back. It was so painful, and nothing seemed to help. It would like pulsate, and I would freeze because it hurt so bad. I was able to go in and see Dr. Carlson that afternoon.


He asked me about the pain, then had me stand (which I could barely do) and he pushed down my back. It hurt more when he pushed on my lower back, so he thought it was probably my sciatic nerve. He gave me some medicine and pain killers to try and help, as well as a shot in the butt. (That was a first, and was quite painful). He sent me home with instructions to call him Monday if I didn't feel better.


That night as I was bathing, my knee was stinging quite bad. When I got out of the tub, and ran to the bedroom to lay down, I asked Greg if I had cuts on my knee. He said it looked red, so I thought it was razor burn or something like that. Well, the pain got worse and I was basically bed ridden. It hurt so much to get out of bed and try to walk. Eating was hard, and even going to the bathroom was painful. I just really couldn't find relief.

As the weekend went on, the rash got worse. I started getting blistery things on my knee and up my thigh. They didn't hurt necessarily, just the other pain shooting through my thigh. I thought they might be hives. Oh joy.

Monday came and I stayed home again. The pain was so bad. I may just have been being a baby, but it really was bad. I called my doctor and told them the pain wasn't getting better, and that I had developed a rash that I  thought was maybe hives. The lady I spoke with said she would send Dr. Carlson a message and see what he wanted to do.

When she called back, she said that he wanted me to get an X-ray (still thinking it was my sciatic nerve), and go to physical therapy. She then asked me to describe the rash, so I did. A little while later she called back and said he wanted to see me.


I'm not even kidding, the pain was so bad I could barely walk. It was hard to breathe and hard to talk too. Ah, it makes me want to cry thinking about it. Greg came and got me and took me to the clinic. He checked me in, and when the nurse came to get me, Greg said, "It might be easier if we get a wheelchair." That's how bad it was. I went and had my back X-rayed, then went to see Dr. Carlson. As soon as he saw the rash he said, "I'm pretty sure that's shingles." Awesome. He asked me more questions and checked them out a bit more, then decided on the meds I'd be taking. Because I'm on an immune suppressor for the Scleroderma, I'm more susceptible to getting shingles (along with cancer, dying, etc.) It really sucks because I knew that all along, but I just figured it would be like a cold, or the flu, not something like shingles. Needless to say, it totally threw me for a loop. He put me on Lyrica to help with the nerve pain, told me to start out on it slowly, and build up until the pain was gone.

Monday night was the worst. I was in so much pain. The throbbing just would not stop, and nothing I did even helped. It sucked. Greg even slept in the living room I was making my pain known. I stayed home the next day as well. There was no way I was going to be able to work. I got up early with Greg and bathed (which was the little relief I received), then ran back to bed where I stayed basically all day.


My mom was in town and had some stuff for me, so when she texted me and asked if she could stop by, I said, "Yes, as long as you don't care that I'm not dressed." I did wrap a blanket around me though. I did feel a little better, and by a little I mean I was able to walk to the kitchen and sit down. It was still hard to talk, but Mom stayed for a little while, then I went back to my bedroom where Mom rubbed my back for a while. It was really great. She's the best. Thanks mom.

The rest of the week slowly got better. My days consisted of getting up early, bathing, going back to bed, trying to sleep, playing on my phone, eventually watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix, eating as much as I could, bathing again at night, and then sleeping.

Here's a little timeline of how pretty the shingle were.

3.23.14  //  3.27.14
4.5.14  //  413.14

It was so incredibly frustrating to get shingles. I've been really trying hard not to complain about my situation, but it was a really hard week, and has been since. I just feel like I was going along, doing just fine, then all of a sudden, I've got yet another thing to deal with and fight through. I know it's all part of my mortal experience, and that I'm not alone in this. It can be hard sometimes to remember that your Heavenly Father is there and he understands what I'm going through, and He hurts that I hurt. I'm guilty of forgetting that and feeling like I'm alone. It's just been hard. The shingles themselves (the sores) haven't been that bad, the nerve pain totally sucked, and just the emotional toll that it's taken on me has been really hard.

But, I'm not writing this to get sympathy or for you to feel bad for me. I am doing fine. I will be okay. I only write it so that I can remember the feelings I had, and how eventually, the physical pain will go away, maybe the emotional pain will stick around for a while, but it will all be okay. My Heavenly Father knows that I'm struggling and can and will give me comfort when that emotional pain won't go away.

Right now the shingles have almost completely disappeared. I still have a few scabs, and some scars, but they're healing well. The nerve pain has almost completely disappeared as well. I have a little pain still in my back and hip, but it's tolerable, and that's all I can ask for. Like I said, it really threw me for a loop, and I'm still working my way back, but seriously. I'm doing well. I've been so incredibly blessed the last month, and I'm lucky it was just shingles, and not something worse. Plus, I got a week off of work, and got an entire season of Pretty Little Liars in. 

Comments

Stephanie Kay said…
Dang Bre that looks like it was a painful experience! I've known some other people who got shingles and they said it was NOT fun. And yes I know this is a very old post...I quite often stalk your blog. :) Pretty sure I've read beginning to end about 20 times now. It's my way of being there through this journey you are going through. Just wish I could be there in person too!

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness