6th Doctor's Appointment

The same week I got shingles, I actually had my next appointment with Dr. Walker. By then I was feeling much better compared to the beginning of the week. When he walked in he said, "Really? Shingles?" I should have told him that I blamed him, but I didn't. We just talked for a little, then he had me hop up on that bed thing (seriously, is there a name for that thing?) while he did his exam. When he pulled up my pant leg and saw my shingles he just said, "Oh!" I started laughing and said, "Yeah, I know."

He then asked if I had questions. I asked him if this was a set-back in the progression the Cellcept had made, and he didn't seem to think so. I was taken off of the Cellcept by Dr. Carlson, and Dr. Walker just told me to wait until the sores had started scabbing over before going back on it. I have to admit, I was a bit afraid to go back on it because I don't want those dang shingles to come back. But he said that most people don't get them a second time, so here's crossing my fingers. He also lowered my dose of the Cellcept, so instead of six each day (or 3000 mg) he dropped me to five (or 2500 mg).

I did ask him how I compared to the other scleroderma patients he has seen, and he surprised me by telling me that I was on the more severe end. Of course, that has more to do with the type that I have than probably how I actually am. I also asked him if we found the Cellcept to work if it's something I would/could take for the rest of my life. He told me yes. Score! Looking forward to taking meds for the rest of my life.

One concern he did have was my lungs. Greg said that I wheeze at night, and I have been coughing a little bit more, so Dr. Walker scheduled another PFT for me. It is something that I'll be tested for about every 6 months or so anyway, just for  precautionary measures. Especially where the diffuse kind of scleroderma can get aggressive with the lungs, we need to keep an eye on the lungs. I seriously have been SO blessed to not have any lung issues. My heart breaks for those who have those issues. They are tough people for sure.

It was another good appointment, though. I told him that I forgot all the questions I had, though. Dang shingles.

He sent me down to get blood tests and a urine sample (which was fun, but I'll spare the details!) As the nurses poked me for the blood test I told them I had to take a picture. I think they think I'm a total weirdo, but oh well. Unfortunately, that arm stopped giving blood, so they had to use the other arm. They always have a hard time finding veins, and ones that will give blood. So I got poked twice that time. It wasn't really that bad. I've got tough skin...(Okay, bad joke!)


So I have been complaining about the size of the Cellcept, but the pill on the left is the antibiotic for the shingles. It makes the Cellcept (right) seem tiny.
Another appointment down. Next one is in July. Can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness