First Public Display of Scleroderma

It's actually surprising to me that it has taken this long for this to happen. I have worried that it may possibly happen many, many times, but yesterday was the first. Here's the backstory...

For the last year or so, I have been extremely bloated all the time. So much so that I have people ask if I'm pregnant at least once a week. My doctor has given me a recommendation to do a colon cleanse, but I have yet to find time to do it. I work M-F, and every other Saturday, and my weekends have been full, so I haven't had time to do it.

I decided to try something more natural, that wouldn't require me to spend time at home, basically living in the bathroom. I found a recipe on Pinterest for an "all natural "secret" detox drink recipe" that should "help bloating, increase energy, speed-up metabolism, stabilize blood sugar and boost your immune system." All things that would be perfect for me.

It called for lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, honey, and water. Simple, right? I mixed it all together having no belief that it would taste good, but certain it could help with the other stuff. Sure enough, totally not delicious, but manageable. I got about five or so sips into it, before remembering why I stopped drinking lemon water a few years ago, when I last tried.

Holy ACID REFLUX! When my acid reflux kicks in, it affects my entire body, making me feel achy, my stomach hurt, and pain all the way up to my head. It's no fun, but tolerable. When I was done with that, Greg decided we should go shopping. I still felt a little sick, but was okay. We went to Hastings, then to Sam's Club. As we started walking through Sam's, I started feeling extremely nauseous. I made Greg slow down quite a bit so I could keep my stomach from tossing it's contents. It worked, and I felt okay.

We then went to the Budge Clinic to get my prescription refilled. I sat in the car while Greg went in to get it. I felt okay, but didn't feel like I needed to vomit or anything.


Our next stop was Lee's, where we had to get our ice cream fix. I don't know what happened between the car and walking into Lee's, but the feeling that I was going to puke came on quite strong, even more so than at Sam's. I knew this time that there wasn't stopping it, so Greg and I went back outside, frantically looking for somewhere I might be able to release my stomach contents. The garbage cans right outside of the doors were covered, and try as I might, couldn't think of any way to make it work, then Greg noticed some open topped garbage cans further down the sidewalk, in a less trafficked area.


I walked as fast as I could down the sidewalk to those cans, trying to keep it all in. Luckily I did okay for the most part, and made it just in time. The only thing I had in my stomach was that lemon water, so it was a quick process. Greg stayed as far away as possible (he's so sweet! ;) haha, and there were not many people that really walked by, for which I was grateful. I was able to vomit in peace, and while I would have preferred to do it at home, I'm grateful for the location of those garbage cans, and for my husband who, even though he wasn't right next to me, stayed close to make sure I was okay.

I always feel better after puking, which is nice, but I was still a bit shocked that it happened in public. I'll have to start carrying around a vomit bag, just in case!


It really is shocking to me that this is the first time it's happened. Especially since I was vomiting so much about 2 years ago. I never had it happen to me in public. There was another incident that happened, but it also was one-time, and that one is less pleasant to talk about!

But with all the awesome side effects of Scleroderma, I've been cautious of being in public. I don't like to shop alone in the event that I drop something, or if I were to trip and fall, or vomit. I'm grateful that this is the first time that Scleroderma has caused such an awesome public display, but I sure hope it doesn't happen again.

Luckily, I don't get embarrassed really anymore, so even when I find myself hovering over a garbage can outside of Lee's Marketplace, I can look up, wipe my face and hands with their hand wipes (thank you for that as well!) and get our ice cream. But the initial panic of what to do is not fun, so, again, Scleroderma, don't let it happen again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Scleroderma?

The Beginning - Raynaud's

So Much Kindness